Senior Data Protection Engineer provides implementation, maintenance, and support services for enterprise data protection. This includes enterprise backup applications, storage and tape libraries. Senior Data Protection Engineers are responsible for end-to-end maintenance assessing, accessing change impact, identifying and resolving issues.
- Must be able to perform the professional and technical competencies in at least one of the following data protection applications, required Cohesity; preferable Commvault, Avamar, or Networker.
- Must be able to perform the professional and technical competencies in Data Domain or NAS and tape technologies.
- Scripting, API Development and Automation
- Uses appropriate methods of escalation to both internal and external resources. Participates in an on-call rotation that will include after-hours, weekends, and some holidays.
- Maintains documentation of the backup technology's configuration, contacts, and functionality. Contributes and maintains common troubleshooting tips in the designated knowledge base. Keeps current vendor and system data owner's contact information in the designated location. Maintain documentation surrounding the flow of data between systems.
- Planning and scheduling data protection hardware and application upgrades, updates, and capacity additions. This may include coordination with other IT teams, vendors, and users. Follows department change request processes.
- Use of backup technologies monitoring tools to resolve issues that could cause failure to backup data. Ensure retention periods for application data follow, customer, and regulatory requirements. Verifies that systems are completing a normally scheduled and approved backup methodology.
- Ability to use backup application functionality to create, schedule, and distribute reports. Provide information regarding backup of data when requested for audits.
- Functions as a support resource for problem-solving application, storage, tape libraries, and client issues related to data protection.
- Communicates effectively with system vendors to maintain working relationships and proper systems support. Verifies vendor actions meet the expectations and reviews statements of work (SOW) and quotes for accuracy and appropriateness.
- Understanding technical concepts including, but not limited to, databases, networking, hardware, software, interfaces, and operating systems.
- Project management and task coordination with other teams and vendors as required to complete installation of new data protection technology. Develops plans for migration, consolidation, or archiving of data from legacy systems where applicable.
- Mentor, train, and serve as a source of knowledge for Backup Administration tasks. This includes knowledge transfers and mentoring for other team members, clients, server and database administrations and interns.
Additional Job Description
- Required: 5-7 years of Data Protection or equivalent work.
- Understanding of OS platform integration with backup solutions.
- Recommended: Technical certifications related to ITIL, Data Protection Technologies, Windows Administration, Linux Administration, or other IT or system-related fields of study.