Senior Network/Systems Engineer
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Type: Direct Placement
- Ref No: 21-00335
- Date: January 24, 2021
Job Description - Senior Network/Systems Engineer
Senior Network/Systems Engineer
We are looking for a Senior Network/Systems Engineer in Houston that wants to work in an amazing company culture, supporting small to medium size businesses across the Houston area.
You will be the sole contact for Network and Systems support for your assigned clients. You must have a passion for customer service and providing next level support! This exciting career opportunity is great for someone that has run Projects from start to finish out of an MSP and can support Tier 3 issues on Network and Systems side of the business.
Growing firm, constantly bringing in new clients and truly believes in taking care of their clients and employees! This role is perfect for a Senior Network/Systems Engineer coming out of an MSP, looking for a long-term career opportunity!
Are you customer facing and ready to take your career to the next level?
Job Overview Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the installation and maintenance of small to large projects for client IT networks. Client satisfaction throughout all interaction with the client and their systems is essential.
- Responsible for the daily operations of client computer networks. Performs daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes. Troubleshoots and applies remedial action.
- Reviews system and application logs and verifies completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Provides escalated technical support to customers by handling systems-related issues; may provide on-call technical support by telephone and/or electronically.
- Performs repairs, maintenance and upgrades of existing systems using solutions in accordance with standard operating procedures. Investigates and resolves matters of significance.
- Manage networking for a medium scale multi-tenant environment, primarily focusing on Fortigate infrastructure with multiple VDOMs.
- Perform security analysis and provide remediation suggestions to internal and external stakeholders.
- Design and implement computer and information networks, such as local area networks (LAN), wide area networks (WAN), intranets, extranets, and other data communications networks.
- Establish and maintain IPSec VPN tunnels.
- Perform network modeling, analysis (current & predictive), and planning to ensure network designs will meet or exceed client requirements now and into the future.
- Design proactive network and computer security measures.
- Research and recommend network and data communications hardware and software.
- Communicate with customers and sales staff to determine and accurately scope customer needs.
- Create detailed network design diagrams and scope of work documents.
- Communicate with system users to ensure networks are setup properly, or to diagnose and solve operational problems.
- Coordinate installation of new equipment with the professional services implementation teams, and perform network implementation and remediation projects.
- Coordinate network operations, maintenance, repairs, and upgrades.
- Secure network systems by enforcing policies and defining and monitoring access.
- Support and manage administration of remote router and firewall environments in line with IT security policy.
- Report network operational status.
- Apply configurations to routing and switching equipment.
- Apply configuration of hosted IP (Internet Protocol) voice services.
- Provide remote troubleshooting and fault finding if issues occur upon initial installation.
- Oversee system maintenance of network/internet/intranet hardware.
- Assist in configuration and installation of all network peripherals.
- Participate in an on-call, after-hours support rotation as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities Required:
Our senior network/systems engineer will draw on all of their IT training and experiences! You will be responsible for all aspects of designing, planning, and implementing complex system and network infrastructure projects. This will include local area network design, WAN design and implementation, VPN projects, wireless site survey and wireless network implementations.
It will also help if you have experience with Cisco/Ubiquiti wireless devices and controllers, Cisco routers, , Fortinet/Sophos/Sonicwall Firewalls, Storage Area Networks (SANs), Switches, MPLS, and Fiber Optic networking. Also helpful is being familiar with the principles of Client planning, utilization and scheduling, supervisory skills, and the principles of business management.
In addition, we'll expect you to have general knowledge of all current Microsoft Operating Systems, TCP/IP, routing, networking hardware, PC hardware, servers, network design, network administration, the principles of project management, and the principles of customer service.
- Impeccable integrity and honesty
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal communications skills
- A polite and kind demeanor
- Ability to handle high stress situations and thrive under pressure
- Advanced Wireless installation and configuration
- Advanced routing installation and configuration
- Business class firewall installation and configuration
- Working knowledge of storage area networks, network attached storage, and direct attached storage
We need an engineer who knows their way around all of the most common and popular networking technologies, as well as some of the ones that have been around for a while. We want someone who has cut their networking teeth for at least 5 years in the industry trenches, having developed strong technical aptitudes. You must be a powerful communicator who works well under pressure.
Experience is required with Fortinet Virtual Appliances (Fortigate, Fortimanager, Fortianalyzer) in a multitenant environment with several VDOMs and security policies in place. We expect that candidates be versed in both the graphical and command line interface and capable of managing complex routing in multitenant environments. At a minimum, you should have a current Cisco CCNP certification or Fortinet NSE-5 certification.
Previous Experience Recommendations:
- 4-year college degree in Information Systems or Engineering
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP or CCIE) OR Fortinet Network Security Expert (NSE) 5
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)
- Cisco Certified Network Administrator or Professional (CCNA or CCNP)
- 5+ years' experience in computer network management is preferred
- VMWare (vCenter and multi host experience a plus)
- Knowledge of hardware, including RAID, network hardware, and backup solutions required
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2012/2016
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2010/2013/2016
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Microsoft Terminal Server
- Veeam Products (Backup & Replication, VeeamOne, etc.)
- SQL Server 2008, 2012, 2014 and 2016
- Firewalls/switches (Cisco, Sophos, Fortinet, and Meraki experience preferred)
- Windows Win7/Win8/Win10
- MS Office 2007/2010 /2013/2016 and O365
- Trend Micro Products
- ESET Products
- Strong working knowledge of spam filtering (Barracuda)
- Standard professional office environment (including ties for men and professional dress for women)
- Travel to Houston clients on a daily basis
- Excellent benefits - health, dental, vision, life insurance, vacation, and matching 401k