Senior Systems Administrator for our Richmond, VA office.
The Sr. Systems Administrator’s role is to provide technical administration and oversight of desktop, server, cloud, and network-based systems to maximize reliability, performance, and availability. This position will be responsible for providing technical administration and support in activities associated with the identification, prioritization, and resolution of issues within the desktop, server, cloud, and network environment. Position will also maintain the day-to-day technical operations for desktops, servers, and network systems by monitoring, tracking, investigating, and reporting key indicators to ensure that systems are operating smoothly and efficiently. This position also participates in the planning and implementation of infrastructure initiatives that are consistent with company goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements. Candidate must be able to adapt to changing technology and needs to stay at the forefront of IT systems and solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties cover what are generally believed to be the principal and essential functions of the job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
- Configure, install, and maintain the data center infrastructure to include virtualization software (Proxmox/KVM/Azure) and necessary infrastructure.
- Configure, maintain, and support electronic mail (O365), Active Directory, Azure, and internet/intranet servers.
- Configure, maintain and support SIEM solution (Elasticsearch/Wazuh).
- Develop and maintain network documentation and diagrams.
- Perform file system configuration and management; define and perform server backups and recovery procedures.
- Manage, document, and test the IT disaster recovery plan.
- Assist with Windows and third-party patching for servers.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software/firmware upgrades to network and data center equipment.
- Extensive knowledge of Active Directory and Group Policy including administering end-user network accounts, permission, and access rights.
- Oversee network security and threat remediation.
- Configure, install, and maintain the local and wide area network (LAN/WAN) hardware, operating systems, software, and firewalls.
- Participate in key process improvements as they relate to our servers and networking environment.
- Analyzes highly complex problems and situations concerning system software by acquiring and analyzing system dumps, documentation, identifying errors and incorrect procedures to aid in resolving system related problems.
- ISO 27001/NIST process familiarity and best practice methodology
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
- Assist the Director of Information Technology with other assigned projects and duties.
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or minimum 5 years equivalent work experience in the IT field.
- Expertise with NTFS, Active Directory, Group Policy, Remote Access, VPN, and Scripting.
- Expertise in virtualization technologies.
- Experience working with routers, switches, or similar network equipment to deploy, troubleshoot and configure.
- Experience writing Windows batch and PowerShell scripts for automation and efficiency/consistency.
- Evidence of continued education and experience in information technologies (certifications).
- A bility to obtain IT certifications as required by firm clients .
- Above average oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to analyze most system components and implementation strategies, and to recommend solutions to day-to-day problems.
- Systems software programming and installations, sophisticated computing and analytical tools, software products, network performance tuning, LAN knowledge, network design and implementation.
The position requires using and interpreting information and facts that may require refining and improving existing methods of analysis. The incumbent has considerable latitude for decision making and establishment of priorities. Significant planning is required to coordinate with other organizational units.