Senior Systems Engineer
Do you love technology and enjoy working in a dynamic work environment? A 30-year-old firm based in Houston, Texas is experiencing continued growth. We are a "Top graded " company looking only for the best candidates at each level. We are committed to integrity and excellence in customer service. We are seeking candidates with current Microsoft or Cisco certifications, a college degree, 7+ years of experience, motivation, and the ability to learn and grow your skills. Our top-notch team fosters an atmosphere where even the most seasoned experts can learn and grow. Ideal candidates have consulting experience and enjoy working in multiple client settings.
In this role you will perform system integration, network administration and technical support services, supporting a variety of corporate clients in a Microsoft Windows environment. Desktop/laptop support at client sites is also a requirement. The ideal candidate must have a strong background in server operating systems with a heavy emphasis on networking, and the ability to work with highly technical people as well as the technically challenged. Emphasis will be placed on previous experience managing LAN and WAN infrastructures. Preference will be given to candidates with "hands-on experience in the design and configuration of Cisco routers, switches, and VPN connections.
Job Overview Responsibilities
- Responsible for the daily operations of client computer networks. Performs daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes. Troubleshoots and applies remedial action.
- Reviews system and application logs and verifies completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Assists in the planning, design, documentation, and implementation of various systems to include desktop PCs, servers, network equipment, and software applications.
- Provides escalated technical support to customers by handling systems-related issues; may provide on-call technical support by telephone and/or electronically.
- Performs repairs, maintenance and upgrades of existing systems using solutions in accordance with standard operating procedures. Investigates and resolves matters of significance.
- Installs, configures, maintains, and monitors client domains. Skill set should include 2008, 2012, and 2016 Windows Server Operating Systems with extensive experience in Active Directory, Group Policies, DHCP, DNS, IIS, Terminal Server, and workstation administration.
- Installs, configures, maintains, and monitors local and wide area network hardware and software. Able to design, configure, maintain, and monitor WAN and VPN connections to remote divisions requiring a core knowledge of Thin Client, TCP/IP, IPSEC, SSL, RDP and VPN protocols.
- Responsible for network security and the preparation and implementation of disaster recovery plans pursuant to level of risk as agreed upon per client agreements. Installs, maintains, and monitors corporate wide network backup software.
- Responsible for the installation and maintenance of small to large projects for client IT networks. Client satisfaction throughout all interaction with the client and their systems is essential.
- Responsible for time management; adjusts hours of work, priorities, and assignments to ensure adequate performance and client satisfaction.
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities Required: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities and/or projects simultaneously
- Excellent listening, team building and communications skills, both verbal and written
- Strong customer relationship skills, high emphasis on customer service and professional image
- Organized, detail oriented and self-motivated.
- Ability to provide and maintain detailed documentation on each job
- Strong computer skills and the ability to effectively communicate through email
- Knowledge in advanced networking configurations
- Experience in Windows Server Operating Systems and related switching
- Ability to successfully train clients on new solution(s) implemented
- Problem-solving abilities and ability to meet reasonable deadlines
- Ability to build positive and collaborative relationships
- Willingness to develop professionally
- Excellent time management, organizational and problem-solving skills to be able to carry out assignments with little supervision; ability to work independently and in a fast-paced environment
- Work proactively and collaboratively with entire staff
- Strong conflict resolution skills and negotiation skills
- Ability to adapt to project shifting priorities and demands and prioritize tasks
- MCSA or MCSE 2012 or 2016 Certification
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college/university
- Minimum seven years of experience in a systems engineer role
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and able to handle multiple tasks to successful, timely completion
- Team player with an enthusiastic can-do attitude
- Motivated towards constantly improving technical skills in and out of the workplace
- Able to lift 40 lbs. as a normal component of system setups and moves
Experience with the following technology:
- VMWare (vCenter and multi host experience a plus)
- Knowledge of hardware, including RAID, network hardware, and backup solutions required
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2012/2016
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2010/2013/2016
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Microsoft Terminal Server
- Veeam Products (Backup & Replication, VeeamOne, etc.)
- SQL Server 2008, 2012, 2014 and 2016
- Firewalls/switches (Cisco, Sophos, Fortinet, and Meraki experience preferred)
- Windows Win7/Win8/Win10
- MS Office 2007/2010 /2013/2016 and O365
- Trend Micro Products
- ESET Products
- Strong working knowledge of spam filtering (Barracuda)
Educational/Vocational/Previous Experience Recommendations:
- 4-year college degree in Information Systems or Engineering
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) is preferred
- Cisco Certified Network Administrator or Professional (CCNA or CCNP) is preferred
- 4+ years’ experience in computer network management is preferred